Since its FDA approval in 2004, the LANAP laser gum treatment has been used to aid in the treatment of gum disease, gingivitis, or periodontitis. If you’re suffering from gum disease, then laser gum treatments may be your best solution. Consider this overview on the signs that you should consider receiving laser gum therapy.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is a chronic bacterial infection that affects the gums and supporting teeth. The main types of gum disease include:
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis is the mildest form of gum disease and usually causes little to no discomfort.
- Periodontitis: Occurs when the plaque and bacteria spread below the gum line, inflaming the tissues and bones that support your teeth. Periodontitis forces your gums to separate from your teeth, forming small pockets that easily become infected. While gingivitis is treatable in the early stages, periodontal disease will almost always require surgical treatment.
Causes and Risk Factors
While most cases of gum disease are caused by poor oral hygiene, there are several other factors that may increase your risk for periodontal disease, such as genetics, smoking or tobacco use, puberty, pregnancy, menopause, stress, certain medications, diabetes, and systemic diseases.
Signs and Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of gum disease will differ depending on the severity, but the most common symptoms include:
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Bleeding while brushing or flossing
- Receding gums
- Loose or separating teeth
- Sores or pus between your teeth and gums
- Change in how your teeth fit together
How LANAP Works
Unlike traditional root planning and scaling treatments that require your dentist to scrape and cut diseased gums away from your teeth, LANAP, or Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure, uses a PerioLase MVP laser fiber to remove diseased gum tissue without damaging the surrounding healthy tissues. LANAP procedures provide faster healing times, reduce bleeding and post-operative pain, and even aid in the stimulation of gum and bone regeneration.
With over 30 years of experience, Dr. Vanwechel with Colorado Advanced Dentistry provides the best laser gum treatments and dental implants for your needs. Call or email us today for more information!